Over the past few years the ‘Food Business’ has become increasingly complex, as a result of the rapidly changing market. These changes have been partially due to globalisation, technological developments, social trends (for example more critical consumers) and the necessity to become more sustainable. All of these factors impact the way companies address problems. The characteristics of this approach are:
· Intensive cooperation with customers
· Experimenting and learning
· Providing functioning results
The basis for this Food Business program is the necessary transition that is expected to take place in the food sector over the coming years.
During this program, each project team develops a solution for the replacement of a strategical ingredient or raw material in a food or feed product for a real-life company case. The potential alternatives are evaluated based on added value (value creation), technological feasibility and international sustainability. The entire chain is analysed and the impact of the chosen/developed solution tested for the effect it has on people, profit and planet. The results are then presented, including at the HAS Food Experience event, and advice is given to the management of the client company.
Students are able to:
· set up and apply a strategic market/supply chain approach to contribute to the sustainable development of new (sustainable) ingredients, semi-finished or end products in the agrifood sector;
· carry out an internal and external analysis of a company in the agrifood sector in a complex environment;
· and can develop a vision and strategy in a real life project for an agrifood company and translate that into a concrete and substantiated advise or advise plans in response to a specific marketing problem.