Main menu

Once you have been accepted to study at HAS University of Applied Sciences, you will need to prepare for your stay in the Netherlands.

1 of the things you will need to take care of are the immigration formalities, such as:

  • arranging the right documents to register as a citizen of the Netherlands and
  • collecting the documents for the visa application in case you are a non-EU citizen.

According to the Dutch law, the International Office of HAS University of Applied Sciences will need to apply for a visa on your behalf, when you are not from the European Union.

More information about visa's and permits can also be found on the website Study in Holland.

Visa's and permits


Learn about the latest news of the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) on the coronavirus (COVID-19)

Entry Visa

To enter the Netherlands for study purposes, nationals from most NON-EU countries need an entry visa. An entry visa is a sticker which is placed in your passport at the Dutch Embassy or Consulate in your own country (or the country in which you legally reside), but it’s important to apply for it well in advance. This requirement does not apply to nationals from Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, South Korea, USA and Vatican City.

Once the entry visa is issued you need to travel to the Netherlands within 90 days after approval of the visa.

If this is not possible due to the COVID-situation or the closure of the Dutch Embassy you will have 180 days to do so.

Residence Permit

Once in the Netherlands, a residence permit is often required. It proves that you are residing legally in the Netherlands. You are obliged to obtain a residence permit if you are a citizen of a non-EU / EEA country and you would like to stay in the Netherlands for a period of more than three months. The resident permit allows you to travel to all Schengen countries and back to the Netherlands as often as you want, while it is still valid. A residence permit will generally be issued for the entire period of your study.


The visa and residence permit application is a combined procedure. The International Office of HAS University of Applied Sciences will apply for these documents on your behalf through a fast-track procedure.

It’s not possible to apply for this visa yourself.

Visa application

After your admission at HAS University of Applied Sciences, it is time to start your visa application. The International Office has developed a visa fact sheet where you can check whether you need a visa and/or residence permit. It also shows which steps you should take in order to apply for these documents.

Download the visa fact sheet below.


Please click here for more information about Monitoring Study Progress