Main menu

As from the 1st of June 2013 a new Immigration Law has become effective. As a consequence of this law HAS University of Applied Sciences is obliged to inform the Immigration & Naturalisation Service (IND) about the study progress of international students with a residence permit.

Monitoring progress

A student needs to obtain at least 50% of the nominal study load. Students who are registered for an academic year should obtain at least 30 ECTS (an academic year is 60 ECTS). If you have obtained less than 30 ECTS, your residence permit will be withdrawn by the IND. If you start in February, you should obtain 50% of the ECTS over the period February until August. This means that you will need to have achieved at least 15 ECTS.

For who does this apply?

Current and new students who are obliged to have a residence permit in the Netherlands need to meet the requirements as described on this page.

Monitoring Process

HAS University of Applied Sciences will monitor the study progress of the students every academic year. After each academic year, the annual study progress of the students will be determined. In case the number of ECTS you have obtained does not meet the requirements, HAS will notify both you and the IND about the lack of your progress. 

HAS University of Applied Sciences will ask the international student for a written approval of the deregistration procedure. This procedure states that the university will deregister international students who are obliged to have a Dutch residence permit – with or without prior notification – at the IND, in case of insufficient study progress.

Exceptional cases

In exceptional cases HAS University of Applied Sciences could decide not to notify the IND insufficient study progress of the student. Examples of excusable reasons are:

  • Illness or pregnancy
  • Physical, sensory or other functional disorders
  • Exceptional family circumstances

In case you are in a situation as described above, it is important to contact your coach or study advisor from the start.

Please contact Mrs. Siesling

For other questions related to visa & residence permits

International Office

International Office

HAS University of Applied Sciences